Getty Images/iStockphoto
The Collegian – File Photo

Fresno State split graduation fee surplus, creates a senior celebration for next semester

Associated Students, Inc. (ASI) voted 8-7 on March 4 in favor of supporting the administration to split the surplus of graduation commencement funds evenly between Fresno State’s colleges. 

Last year, Fresno State’s commencement ceremony had a surplus of money that was gathered from the graduating seniors in their $51.50 graduation fee –an increase from the $35 two years ago.

Seventy percent of the money students pay goes to commencement, 24 percent goes to the registrar, and the remaining 6 percent goes to the standard financial fee, Colin Stewart, associate dean of student involvement, said.

“Due to the high number of graduates last year, the commencement ceremonies had a surplus of approximately $30,000,” Andrew Skidmore, ASI’s senator for clubs and organizations, said. 

All the money that had ever been a surplus has gone back into commencement, Stewart said.

Although it is currently unknown if there will be a surplus this year, Stewart said student affairs are already planning to put the extra money toward a senior celebration.

“Many students wanted to celebrate graduation with their friends from other colleges,” Stewart said. “So, we thought of a way to gather all seniors together by using the surplus.”

Seniors will receive an email to apply to be a part of a group of students in charge of organizing the senior celebration, Stewart said. 

Katie Taylor, a senior double majoring in speech pathology and French at Fresno State, and Samantha Vasquez, a senior majoring in psychology, said a senior celebration would be fun. 

“Free food and some sort of fun activity is always nice,” Taylor said. “And getting photos would be a plus.”

Vasquez said having lunch together with the possibility of a raffle is a good idea.

Although Taylor is not opposed to a senior celebration, she’d rather have the surplus of funds be spent on scholarships.

“I wish the surplus would be used towards scholarships for students who have to go to grad school like me,” Taylor said.

Jan Benson, who is working on getting her masters in rehabilitation counseling and mental health therapy, said she would not go to a senior celebration and is upset over the surplus.

“The fact that there is a surplus in the graduation commencement fund really ticks me off,” said Benson. “Why are we paying so much money to have it just sit there?” 

Vasquez said if there is always a surplus, seniors who graduate should just pay less. However, according to Skidmore, there are restrictions on how frequently a college can change student fees.

“Costs are going up, so it’s likely that the [graduation fee] will likely never go down,” Stewert said.

Along with a senior celebration, Fresno State would be helping itself and other colleges save money by splitting the extra funds.

“Splitting to funds would help cover the $4,600 cost of commencements each college gets charged,” Skidmore said.

Colleges are each charged the same amount no matter the number of graduates, Skidmore said. 

The senior celebration will go into effect next semester.