Fresno State guard Mustafa Lawrence shoots the game-winning 3-pointer at the buzzer against Winthrop on Paul George Day at the Save Mart Center on Sunday, Nov. 10, 2019. (Armando Carreno/The Collegian)

Fresno State guard Mustafa Lawrence enters transfer portal

Fresno State men’s basketball guard Mustafa Lawrence has entered the NCAA transfer portal, making him the third player on the 2019-20 roster to enter the portal.

The 6-foot-1 and 181-pound guard played one season for the Bulldogs.

As Lawrence enters the portal, he will essentially become a free agent, and schools interested in his services can begin contacting him.

In the season, Lawrence averaged 6.4 points and 2.5 assists per game. One of his biggest moments was against Winthrop on Paul George’s jersey retirement celebration.

Lawrence received the ball in the right wing and made a game-winning 3-pointer at the buzzer to beat Winthrop, 77-74. He scored 13 points on 4-of-7 shooting and added four assists in the game.

Lawrence also scored 16 points, his career-high, against both Cal and UNLV.

He started the season playing around 19.7 minutes per game and was a starter in the first three games of the season against Oregon, Winthrop and San Diego. Lawrence’s minutes continued to rise as he played around 33 minutes per game in the final five games of December.

However, Lawrence’s production dipped in that stretch. He scored four points or less and shot below 50 percent in three of those five games.

Soon after, Lawrence’s minutes dipped to 11.6 per game as he soon found himself out of the rotation. He played his final game as a Bulldog on Feb. 4 against Colorado State, attempting three shots and scoring zero points.

In college, Lawrence played his freshman season at Missouri State and his sophomore season at Tallahassee Community College.

At Missouri State, he played in 22 games and averaged 4.9 points, 1.1 rebounds and 0.9 assists per game. At TCC, his production went up as he averaged 13.1 points, 2.8 rebounds and 2.9 assists per game in 29 games.

His production at TCC earned him All-American and all-conference honors.

The two other players entering the transfer portal from Fresno State are Bulldogs’ forward Lazaro Rojas and Bulldogs’ guard Aguir Agau. Agau averaged 4.2 points and 3 rebounds per game with 10 starts, and Rojas played in 10 games as a junior this past season with 1 point and 1.2 rebounds per game.

At the moment, recruiting has come to a standstill due to COVID-19. The NCAA announced on March 13 that they’re banning in-person recruiting until April 15. 

With that announcement, college basketball teams are limited to phone calls and written correspondence, according to the NCAA.