Big 12 Conference suspends spring competitions

The Big 12 Conference announced in a statement on Thursday that they’re suspending all regular-season competitions, on- and off-campus recruiting and out-of-season practices until Sunday, March 29.

The suspension of these athletic activities does not include campus-based practices for in-season sports, strength and conditioning activities for all sports, and it doesn’t apply to teams and individuals participating in NCAA championship competition.

For Fresno State, the equestrian and wrestling teams both play in the Big 12 conference, so their seasons are effectively put on hold. The NCAA announced earlier today that Division I, II, and III national wrestling championships have been canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Fresno State had five wrestlers who qualified for the Division I tournament at U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, Minn., — Josh Hokit, DJ Lloren, Jacob Wright, Greg Gaxiola and Lawrence Saenz. If it took place, it would have been the first time an NFL stadium hosted the event.

On Friday, March 13, the Big 12 Conference said in a statement that all organized team activities whether organized or voluntary, including team and individual practices, meetings and other organized gatherings, have been suspended until March 29 and will be re-evaluated at that time.

Additionally, all conference and nonconference competitions are canceled through the end of the academic year, including spring sports that compete beyond the academic year, according to the statement.

Story will be updated.