300 dpi 2 col x 4 in / 96×102 mm / 327×346 pixels Ric Thornton color illustration of child covering his mouth with his hands. Macon Telegraph 2005

KEYWORDS: child silence silent speak no evil quiet children child language mute krtfeatures features krtnational national krtworld world krtfamily family illustration ilustracion lenguaje joven silencioso silencio mudo krtdiversity diversity youth krt grabado aspecto aspectos ma contributed coddington thornton 2005 krt2005

Speak out, because you can

Growing up, I do not remember ever being allowed to have a voice to speak out about what I believed in, what I was thinking about, what I was feeling during many moments in my life.­

The only voice I had was “OK, mom and dad.”

And as a child, some of us are told not to speak to others about our household business.­

They say, “Nobody needs to know our business, and there is no need to be running to anyone for help; everything is under control here.”­

They did not know that children get scared and when children get scared they run for help.­

In tears the child seeks help, but there is no response because their voice cannot be used to speak.­

In my house, I was one of those children with no place to run to for help. I was traumatized.­

There should not be any finger pointing, but I do know of one person who may have caused most of this — my father.­

He was an alcoholic.­­

I had a love/hate relationship for my father. On his sober days, I loved him because he was not drunk– he actually knew he had children. On other days, with every drink he took, I hated him because he was reckless and unaware of the fear, danger and tears one of his children shed.­

At the age of 11, I did not want anything to do with him because it seemed like as I got older bad days were more common than good days.­

And with those bad days, I was not allowed to run and ask for help.­

Ideas do not flow right out of me, I am still at some point afraid to speak out loud about my opinions. 

That is a reason why opinion stories are a challenge for me to get done, but somehow I am managing to fight that closed-minded self and let my thoughts flow.­

I have found an interest in journalism, and it is my own way of expressing myself whether it be published or written down in a journal.­

Because I can finally say that I will not be asked to close my mouth. Because my opinions are valid for once.­

And as I sit, I think about my next opinion story.

Speak.