Infielder Miranda Rohleder (9) on third base against CBU Lancers during the 2019 season at the Margie Wright Diamond. (Armando Carreno/The Collegian)

Softball returns for opening day

Softball season has officially begun as the Fresno State softball traveled out to Florida to face tough competition last weekend. 

They began the tournament on the winning side taking down Georgia State (5-0), South Florida (3-2) and Illinois State (3-0).

Fresno State showed strong pitching and hitting throughout the tournament as sophomore Danielle Lung and junior Hailey Dolcini pitched complete games over the weekend while senior Schuylar Broussard hit a three-run home run against Georgia State.

For the last two games of the tournament, the Bulldogs were put to the test against two Top 25 programs. Both the No. 7 Florida Gators and No. 17 Michigan Wolverines defeated the Bulldogs in close games.

Bulldogs hitting coach Matt Lisle has also recently changed the approach of the team when it comes to the plate. Lisle used to develop hitting programs for the Chicago White Sox, but is now using the program’s data to aid the ‘Dogs. This new change was present in Florida with the Bulldogs scoring 15 runs.

After a strong opening weekend, Fresno State softball returns to Margie Wright Diamond on Feb. 14 for its annual Fresno State Kickoff Classic. The star-studded, highly competitive opening weekend will feature Cal Poly, Fordham University, Cal and St. Mary’s.

The ‘Dogs will kick off the tournament with a doubleheader against the Cal Poly Mustangs at 5 p.m. followed by the Fordham Rams at 7:30 p.m.

Bulldogs head coach Linda Garza welcomes the Red Wave to come to spend their Valentine’s weekend at Margie Wright Diamond cheering on the softball team.

“I think it’s a great date night!” said Garza on the home opener. “I know we are fun to watch… It’s a fun game, it’s fast, you can get in and get out and we want this to be an experience for the students and the families that come. We take great pride in our fans.”