Miranda Lambert was named Recording Industry Association of America’s 2019 Artist of the Year. [Chris Pizzello/Invision] Courtesy of: Tribune News Service

Miranda Lambert returns to Fresno on her ‘Wildcard Tour’

Miranda Lambert returned to Fresno for her third time as she performed her Wildcard Tour at the Save Mart Center (SMC) on Thursday, Feb. 27, 2020. 

Lambert showcased that she has transformed beyond her previous moniker of country darling to now being a full-fledged superstar.

Before Lambert hit the stage, Cody Johnson and Lanco warmed up the crowd for her as her opening acts

Lanco charmed the audience with their mix of rock and roll with a southern twang. They showed off their Nashville roots reminding the audience, “Everyone believes in the power of country music.”

The audience swayed and sang along to, “Greatest Love Story,” a song about finding the love of your life. 

Fans were screaming for Cody Johnson as he took the stage. 

He opened up the stage with his hit song, “With You I Am,” The crowd was singing along to every word. 

The self-proclaimed cowboy singer showed off his guitar skills rocking out with the accompaniment of bass player Joey Pruski. 

13 years ago, Johnson was an amateur bull rider before discovering his love for country music. Now he is touring with Lambert and now his latest album, “Ain’t Nothin’ to It,” has landed at number one on the Billboard Country Album charts.

“I am living proof that if you want to chase your dreams, no matter how big, then chase your dreams,” Johnson said.

As Johnson finished and Lambert came out, the area started to fill the screams of the fans and those who were not in their seats quickly found them.

Lambert started out her set poking fun at herself and the southern stereotype with the song, “White Trash.”

The outfit Lambert was wearing was dazzling from head to toe. The wardrobe consisted of glittered leggings, classic cowgirl boots and a leather skirt showing the crowd her wild side. 

Lambert topped off the outfit with her signature pink guitar. 

During her song, “Heart Like Mine,” Lambert had the song singing along and had drinking along during her rendition of, “Thirsty Thursday.”

A sudden hush befell the audience as Lambert played, “The House That Built Me,” one of her older songs released back in 2009.

The crowd began to sing along and Lambert took notice addressing the crowd saying, “That means we have some country fans in the house.” 

Lambert had a smile on her face listening to the fans and sharing with the audience how she spent the day at Shaver Lake with her husband.

“These are my people,” in reference to the cowboy hats in the crowd. 

There was a special interlude during the song, “Baggage Claim,” performed by different members of her band including her keyboardist and backup singer. 

In an interview earlier in the year, Lambert to Grammy.com about changes she made to the band before the tour. 

“I just have my band, I’ve got a huge band now because we’ve grown organically over time,” said Lambert. 

Lambert spoke on why some changes were a necessity for the tour.

“I’ve got some guys who’ve been with me for 15-18 years and I’ve got some guys we just added just because some of them are getting old and can’t play the whole show,” said Lambert.

Lambert ended the show by bringing Lanco and Cody Johnson back on stage for a group performance of Travis Tritt’s, “It’s a Great Day to Be Alive.”

In addition to her own album, Lambert also covered songs, “That’s the Way World Goes Round,” by John Prine and ”Say You Love Me,” by Fleetwood Mac. 

This was her third time playing at SMC and Lambert’s next stop will be in San Jose on Feb. 28, 2020, where the tour will continue.