Zumba----+Participants+dance+along+with+the+instructors+during+the+Zumba+event+on+Sunday%2C+Feb.+2+at+the+Satellite+Student+Union%0APhoto+by%3A+Vendila+Yang+
Zumba—- Participants dance along with the instructors during the Zumba event on Sunday, Feb. 2 at the Satellite Student Union Photo by: Vendila Yang

Hospital hosts 3rd ‘Dance Your Heart Out’

The Community Regional Medical Center hosted its third annual “Dance Your Heart Out” dance fitness event to raise money for the hospital’s cardiac and vascular service funds. 

For the first time ever, the event was held at Fresno State’s Satellite Union on Feb. 2 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

The $10 entrance fee along with the rest of the money that was earned from this event will go toward funding the services that the medical center offers for free for community members in the area, said Carlos Perez, event organizer and communications specialist at the hospital.

Perez said he came up with the idea three years ago. “Cardiovascular disease is the number one killer of women and dancing is a way to stay fit and lower your risk,” he said.

The hospital offers patients a range of diagnostic procedures and approaches to detect and treat cardiovascular problems, according to the hospital website. 

The turnout of this event has grown too large to be held at a local gym. Perez said he was grateful that Fresno State was able to accommodate for the occasion. 

“We get to raise awareness, money and we get to dance!” said returning participant Jordan Pickering, professor at Fresno State’s criminology department. Pickering explained how she noticed the increase in the amount of growth and support this event had from the previous years. 

Organizations such as the American Heart Association, George Brown’s Sport Club and CRUNCH Fitness participated in this event. 

Cardio fun, high fitness, dance fitness and Zumba fitness were all of the different dance styles the participants exercised to. As the 10 instructors from Zumba and high fitness began to dance together on the stage, the audience followed by mirroring the demonstrators’ dance moves. 
For more information about this event or any questions about next year’s event, contact Perez at [email protected].