A memorial was put by the Sikh Student Association to honor deceased basketball star Kobe Bryant in front of the library at the Free Speech Area on Monday, Jan. 27, 2020. (Larry Valenzuela/The Collegian)

Sikh students remember Kobe Bryant with a vigil

The Sikh Student Association (SSA) held a daytime vigil Monday afternoon at the Free Speech Area to remember the nine victims who passed away in the helicopter crash in Calabasas, Calif.

The victims included former NBA player Kobe Bryant and his daughter, Gianna Bryant, as well as John Altobelli, Keri Altobelli, Alyssa Altobelli, Christina Mauser, Ara Zobayan, Sarah Chester and Payton Chester.

Karan Singh, a member of SSA, said all the members of the association wanted to do something.

“We were talking about it (the incident) last night, and we were very sad about it,” Singh said. “A majority of basketball players and Punjabi basketball players all looked up to Kobe. We’re happy that we’re able to do this.”

Former co-president of SSA Shivjit Singh Thind offered his condolences to the victims.

“I just want to express my condolences to the Bryant family, him (Kobe) and his daughter, his wife, the other three daughters that were affected, the pilot and the other members affected in this horrible tragedy,” Thind said. “Kobe Bryant has always been my idol and inspiration for everything — the Mamba Mentality — and using that in all aspects of life.”