Mykal Walker (3) prepares to tackle UNLV running back Charles Williams at Bulldog Stadium on Saturday, Oct. 18, 2019. (Armando Carreno/The Collegian)

NFL Draft news: Netane Muti and Mykal Walker make big announcements

Fresno State interior lineman Netane Muti announced via twitter that he will forgo his senior season and enter the NFL Draft in a written statement on Friday night.

In the statement Muti reflected on his time as a Bulldog, while also thanking coaches, teammates and the Fresno State fan base.

“There is no way for me to truly show Fresno State how grateful I am for the opportunities they have given me these past four years,” wrote Muti. “Through the guidance of the coaches and staff at Fresno State, I have learned what it means to be a leader, the importance of hard work and how the game of football can be taken away at any moment.”

Muti concluded his statement by saying, “After much thought and discussion with my family, I have decided to forgo my senior season to enter the 2020 NFL Draft.”

Considered by many as one of the most talented linemen on the Bulldog’s roster, Muti’s time at Fresno State was plagued by numerous injuries.

In 2016 as a true freshman Muti suffered an Achilles’ injury that kept him out the whole season. Muti played also missed 12 of 14 games in 2018. And after starting the first three games of 2019, his season was once again cut short missing the final nine games with a foot injury.

The 2017 season was the one season that Muti was able to stay healthy and he showcased how good he could be, starting all 14 games and earning All-Mountain West honorable mention honors.

Despite dealing with injuries nearly his entire Bulldog career, the 6-foot-3, 307-pounder is rated as the number one interior lineman entering the 2020 NFL Draft, according to Pro Football Focus (PFF).

PFF has him ranked ahead of four Power Five conference interior linemen including Tyler Bladasz of Wisconsin, Creed Humphrey of Oklahoma, Calvin Throckmorton of Oregon and Logan Stenberg of Kentucky.

https://twitter.com/netane_muti52/status/1213300297994588161

Walker receives combine invite

Following an outstanding senior season, Fresno State linebacker Mykal Walker announced via Twitter that he has been invited to participate in the NFL Scouting Combine taking place on Feb. 23-March 2 in Indianapolis.

Walker finished the 2019 season earning his second All-MW first team selection. He ranked eighth in the MW and second on the Bulldogs in tackles with 96 total tackles, while averaging 8 tackles per game.

He also led the team with 9 tackles for loss (TFL), with 2.5 of those TFL’s coming by way of sack. Walker also forced a fumble and recovered a fumble this past season.

After transition to middle linebacker from defensive end going into the 2019 season, Walker shifted between both positions due to injuries taking a toll on the Fresno State defense.

During his Bulldog career Walker amassed 182 tackles (94 solo and 88 assisted), 6.5 sacks, 3 forced fumbles and one interception return for a touchdown.

In an article written on Oct. 25, Tony Pauline of Pro Football Network evaluated Walker and gave insight of the possible round he could land in the draft.

“I presently grade Walker as a fourth-round prospect for the 2020 NFL Draft which I believe will come to fruition next April,” wrote Pauline. “I would expect the senior to get a roster spot in one of the postseason All-Star games to be followed by an invitation to the Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, where I expect him to test well.”

The NFL Draft takes place in Las Vegas on April 23-25.