Fresno State President Joseph I. Castro (left) and Marc Guzman Chevron reservoir supervisor (right) unveils $450,000 donation check on Friday January 31, 2020. (Armando Carreno/The Collegian)

Chevron donates over $400,000 to Stem programs for third year in a row

Chevron, for the third time, announced a a $450,000 donation for the advancement of the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) programs during a press conference at the Smittcamp Alumni House on Friday. 

Reservoir supervisor with Chevron, Marc Guzman, represented the company during the donation announcement and handed the check to Fresno State President Dr. Joseph I. Castro.

This is the third time Chevron has given the university a donation of this size. In 2017, Chevron donated the same amount in support of STEM programs in the Lyles College of Engineering and the College of Science and Mathematics.

“My colleagues and I deeply appreciate Chevron’s bold and generous support of our students’ success,” said Castro. “By partnering with Chevron, together, we are bridging our region’s gap in STEM educators and leaders while also meeting California’s workforce needs by providing a steady pipeline of engineers and scientists.”

The donations will be distributed to programs in the following institutions: the Lyles College, College of Health and Human Services, Craig School of Business, Office of Community and Economic Development and the Division of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management.

A press release stated that of the total donation, $250,000 has been designated to go to the Lyles College of Engineering’s Foundation for Success Initiative that will focus on freshmen and sophomore students pursuing engineering and construction management degrees.; $180,000 to will go to Chemistry and Physics Outreach for the College of Science and Mathematics; and $20,000 for Homecoming.

“These three initiatives lead to student recruitment, retention and ultimately graduation, helping us meet our aggressive graduation goals that benefit the entire state of California,” Castro said in the press release.