Fresno State. (Jose Romo/The Collegian)

Academic decathlon looking for volunteers

The annual United States Academic Decathlon will be held Jan. 25 at Fresno State. 

There will be a location change from last year’s competition from the Residence Dining Hall to the North Gym in room 118, according to Fresno Unified School District officials.

Every year, volunteers are needed to assist the speech and interview tests that students must complete. Those volunteering to be a speech or interview judge must be at least 20 years of age. Volunteers can sign up online at the official Academic Decathlon website

Free catered lunch will be served from 11 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. in the North Gym. 

Before judging, the volunteers will go through a brief training session. Each team is separated by category of interview or speech judge. Judging of the participants will begin after the training concludes and volunteers would head to their assigned room.

The Academic Decathlon is a scholastic competition for high school students to achieve their individual academic goals. Students from different counties get involved in a two-weekend long competition. They are tested on various subjects on different days.

The competition is held throughout the U.S. and winning schools move up to state championships. Those that win state championships move on to national championships. 

The dates for this year’s U.S. Academic Decathlon Nationals is April 29 to May 2.

Schools are scored on a scale of points depending on student performances. 

Students from University High on the Fresno State campus will be competing again in this year’s Academic Decathlon. Last year was their seventh win.