William Shakespeare was a famous playwright in England during the 1600s. (Tribune News Service)

Shakespeare play lasts 4 more days

The University Theatre is pleased to present “As You Like It,” written by William Shakespeare, with the production directed by Kathleen McKinley running from Dec. 6 through Dec. 14 in the John Wright Theatre in the Speech Arts Building at Fresno State, according to a University Theatre release.

The Shakespearean comedy consists of themes surrounding betrayal, courtship, lust and mistaken identity with a modern interpretation set in a more contemporary time period than the original time it was performed during the 1600s.

The old and the young flee from an erratic tyrant and spend their remaining life as happy exiles amid the welcoming “country copulatives” of a secluded forest.­

Rosalind, a daring woman, is unjustly banished, cast off by societal constraints and will unexpectedly find her true love in a gender-bending romance to be remembered.

The play reimagines Duke Frederick as the owner of a luxury gym, making him a modern strong-man, who must display his masculinity for all to see.­

Likewise to this interpretation by McKinley will be the forest of Arden, which is instead recognized as the Redwood Forests of Humboldt County and its residents as modern-day, music-loving, herb-farming hippies.

The production features live on-stage musicians, dancing and technical changes that appear as theatre magic to attract and bring joy to audiences this holiday season before the fall semester comes to an end.

“As You Like It” will perform its last few showings Dec. 10 through Dec. 14 and will begin at 7:30 p.m. Latecomers will be seated at the House Manager’s discretion.

Tickets can be purchased in the Speech Art Building Box Office at $17 for adults; $15 for Fresno State faculty, staff, alumni and military; and $10 for all students. Children under 5 are not allowed admission. Group rates are available for groups of 20 or more.­

Box office hours are open from noon to 4 p.m. on weekdays and will remain available for ticket purchases one hour before each performance.

Parking will be free for the shows performed Friday through Saturday.­

For shows during the week, parking permits will be required and can be found at various dispensers within the campus parking lots.

For more information, contact the box office at 559.278.2216 or [email protected].