An+emotional+Jeff+Tedford+during+his+press+conference+announces+that+he+is+stepping+down+as+head+coach+of+the+Fresno+State+Bulldogs+football+team+on+Dec.+6%2C+2019.+%28Armando+Carreno%2FThe+Collegian%29+
An emotional Jeff Tedford during his press conference announces that he is stepping down as head coach of the Fresno State Bulldogs football team on Dec. 6, 2019. (Armando Carreno/The Collegian)

Jeff Tedford officially steps down as Fresno State football head coach

In an official news conference Friday morning, Fresno State football head coach Jeff Tedford announced that he will be stepping down as the team’s head coach, following his third season with the team.

Tedford’s move is due to heart complications that reappeared midseason when he noticed symptoms that were not normal. 

After having a procedure done a few weeks ago and  consulting with physicians, he was counseled to have another procedure done, which will take place in January. 

Back in 2013, Tedford had issues with his heart that resulted in him taking a leave of absence as the Tampa Bay Buccaneers offensive coordinator.

“It’s with a heavy heart, no pun intended, that today I announce I step down today as the head coach here [at Fresno State],” Tedford said.

Tedford took time out of the conference to express his thanks to Fresno State President Dr. Joseph I. Castro for allowing him to return to his alma mater, to the current coaching staff for their efforts throughout the years, to the Fresno State community and to all his Bulldog players.

When it comes to the future of the program, Tedford said he believes that the “cupboard is full,” and that the team is ready to compete right away to get back to the championship level. 

Tedford also cleared the air that this is not a retirement but when asked if he will ever coach again, Tedford responded by saying that he “seriously doubts that” and will instead be a “special assistant” to Director of Athletics Terry Tumey.

“It would be short-sighted to not have a person of his intellect and his depth as an adviser in terms of what you look for in a head coach,” Tumey said. “But what I think what is going to be most important is when Jeff Tedford says, ‘Terry, this person’s character is what we need here.’ Why would I not lean on a Bulldog who has been here all his life and have him help me find the next Bulldog to lead our football program.”

The national search now begins for Tedford’s successor. For now, offensive coordinator Ryan Grubb will become the interim head coach until the next head coach is found. 

Tedford stated that the next Fresno State head coach should be someone who understands the pride and the traditions of not only the Fresno State Bulldogs but someone who understands the Valley.

Tumey went on to say that this open position is a very “attractive opportunity,” and that he believes the search will not take long. 

Although Tedford’s tenure as Fresno State head coach was short-lived, Tedford did manage to flip a 1-11 football program into a program that would not only appear in a Mountain West Championship but win a championship and two bowl games. 

Tedford and his family do plan on staying in Fresno and continuing his relationship with the university.

“I’ve sacrificed a lot. Now, it’s time to live,” Tedford said.