Fresno State football head coach Jeff Tedford during a home match against Utah State at Bulldog Stadium on Saturday, Nov. 9, 2019. (Armando Carreno/The Collegian)

Fresno State loses first player post-Tedford resignation

A day after head coach Jeff Tedford resigned from his position,  Fresno State suffered its first loss, as one of its highly-touted recruits from the 2019 class will be at another university next season.

It is being reported by the official 247sports transfer portal account that freshman running back Peyton Dixon has entered the transfer portal and will be transferring from Fresno State.

Dixon entered a loaded Fresno State backfield in 2019 but had his season cut short following a meniscus injury in the final day of fall camp. He underwent surgery and has spent the whole season rehabilitating from the injury.

Dixon, a three-star recruit coming out of Bishop Manogue High School, committed to play for the Bulldogs in December signing period in 2018. He held offers from instate schools Nevada and UNLV, as well as others clamoring for the star running back.

As a senior, Dixon was one of the top players coming out of Nevada after having a historic 2018 season. During his final year at Manogue, he ran the ball 309 times, amassing 3,143 yards and 45 touchdowns, while averaging 10.2 yards per carry.

Once Dixon enters the portal, he essentially becomes a free agent, and schools interested in his services can begin contacting him, which essentially means he has become a recruit once again.

The hope for the Fresno State football program is that the resignation of Tedford does not start a domino effect of players leaving the program, but it will be interesting to see how many more players will follow suit.