Swimmers dive into the pool during a competition at the Fresno State Aquatic Center on Saturday, Nov. 16 2019.

Women’s swimming and diving team finish fourth in SMU Invitational

After a successful weekend at home against the University of the Pacific and Fresno Pacific, the Fresno State women’s swimming and diving team traveled to Dallas, Texas this past weekend to participate in the SMU Invitational from November 21-23.

The Bulldogs had a great weekend in Texas, finishing in fourth place at the invitational and setting new records for the 100 backstroke and the 400 freestyle relay, according to a news release by Fresno State Athletics.

Fresno State finished the invitational with a score of 515.5, just below TCU who finished with a 520.5 and above Mizzou who ended the invitational with a 492.5. LSU took first place with a 976.5, while host SMU took second place with a 772.5.­

For the Bulldogs in the 100 backstroke, Athena Clayson came in with a time of 53.60 setting a new record for the ‘Dogs. In the 400 freestyle relay, Clayson, Emily Cutler, Anna Moers and Megan Bowen finished with a time of 3:23.11, breaking a new record for Fresno State.

In the Individual Medley (IM), the Bulldogs got two top spots thanks to Manuela Mendolicchio who finished in third place with a time of 4:19.81. Junior Darina Khisiamova scored a 4:18.28 claiming second place in the 400 IM.­

In diving, senior Bulldog Irina Nikolaeva finished in second place in the three-meter with a score of 287.00. Nikolaeva, also took fifth place at the invitational in the one-meter competition ending with a score of 255.10.

The Bulldogs will be in Atlanta, Georgia on Dec. 4-7 at the US Open competition, before returning home and facing CSU Bakersfield on Dec. 14, to close out the year.