Fresno State golfer Brigitte Thibault. Photo courtesy of Fresno State Athletics

Volkmer to join Bulldogs women’s golf for the upcoming season

The Fresno State women’s golf team and head coach Emily Loftin announced the addition of Lydia Volkmer for the 2020-2021 season on Nov. 14, according to a Fresno State Athletics news release.

“Lydia caught my eye last summer and we definitely had an immediate connection,” said Loftin in the news release. “She has amazing consistency in her game that will allow her to make a quick impact on this program … I am thrilled that Lydia will be joining the Bulldog Golf Family very soon!”

Volkmer, a native of Berlin, Germany, will join the Fresno State women’s golf program as a highly decorated golfer.­

She most recently finished runner-up at the 2019 Allianz German Girls Championship and also the Berlin Open Championship. Volker was also a member of the 2017-18 German National Team and was ranked 104 in the European Junior Golf Rankings.

“Lydia had a great summer claiming second place at the prestigious Alliance German Girls Championship with stellar scores of 72-73-68-70, 10-under total for the event,” Loftin said in the release. “She’s used to shooting under par, and I believe she will transition into college golf and the Mountain West Conference very well.”