“Pride of the Valley” sign sits in front of the Save Mart Center on Tuesday, Sept. 11, 2019. Pride of the Valley is a marketing campaign by Fresno State Athletics. (Larry Valenzuela /The Collegian)

Tuesday sports review

Men’s Basketball

After a great win at home during a very special night for Fresno State basketball, the Bulldogs traveled south to face the San Diego Toreros for their third game of the season on Nov. 12.­

The Bulldogs were defeated 66-72 in overtime by the Toreros, giving the ‘Dogs their second loss of the season. San Diego outscored the Bulldogs in the first half 28-34 and dominated the majority of the first half.­

In the second half of the game, the Bulldogs came back and outplayed the Toreros with a score of 27-21, evening out the game and taking it to overtime. The Bulldogs struggled to make anything happen in the overtime period, and the Toreros eventually outscored the Bulldogs 11-17, finishing with a 66-72 final score.­

For the Bulldogs, guard Jarred Hyder had a total of 23 points, eight rebounds and four assists, and forward Nate Grimes had 12 rebounds and 10 points in the game.

Women’s Basketball

The Bulldogs hosted the UC Davis Aggies at the Save Mart Center Tuesday night for their second home game of the season. Fresno State came out on top with a score of 73-65, keeping the Bulldogs undefeated in the new season. 

In the first quarter, the Aggies outplayed the Bulldogs, taking a prominent lead of nine points into the second quarter. However, the Bulldogs mounted a comeback and took the lead from the Aggies, outscoring them 20-8 in the second quarter and taking a 28-25 lead at halftime.

Fresno State continued its dominance in the third quarter, adding to the lead and keeping the Aggies from generating any momentum in the game. The Bulldogs found some trouble in the fourth quarter, when UC Davis kept scoring three point shots. But the ‘Dogs’ lead was too much for the Aggies. The Bulldogs took the victory 73-65. 

For the Bulldogs, guards Hanna and Haley Cavinder had an outstanding game with 21 and 20 points, respectively. Forward Maddi Utti had 21 points, six rebounds and three assists, while guard Aly Gamez had 12 rebounds, five steals and two assists.  

Volleyball

Following a defeat Saturday afternoon against the Wyoming Cowgirls, the Fresno State volleyball team traveled south looking to break its five-game losing streak against the San Diego Aztecs.

The Bulldogs were swept 15-25, 25-27 and 13-25, suffering their sixth consecutive loss and leaving them with a 12-15 overall record. 

In the first set, the Bulldogs fell behind early and weren’t able to comeback from a 10-point deficit that eventually cost them the set. After a tough set, the Bulldogs regrouped and made adjustments that helped them battle throughout the entire match.

The second set became a real battle of wits between the Bulldogs and the Aztecs. However, the Aztecs came out on top by defeating the Bulldogs 25-27. For the last set, the Aztecs ran away with the score, defeating the Bulldogs 25-13 and taking the match win.

For the ‘Dogs, outside hitters Desiree Sukhov had 14 kills and Amaria Kelly had eight kills and two block assists.