The sun sets on Bulldog Stadium during a homecoming game against Colorado State on Saturday, Oct. 26, 2019. (Armando Carreno/The Collegian)

Smith named to the 2019 Academic All-District Football Team

The College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA) announced that Fresno State offensive lineman Matt Smith was named to the 2019 Academic All-District Football Team team on Thursday, according to a Fresno State Athletics news release.

Smith now proceeds to the CoSIDA Academic All-America Team ballot, where first, second and third-team All America honorees will be selected. This is the first time that a Fresno State football student-athlete has been named to the team since Jacob Vazquez in 2016.

Smith, a junior, started the first eight games of the season at center on the ‘Dogs’ offensive line. He also served as one of the four team captains of those eight games.

Smith has a 3.89 GPA and is majoring in business administration with a focus in sports marketing.

Earlier this month, Smith was named a Burlsworth Trophy nominee, an annual award given to college football’s most outstanding player who began his career as a walk-on.