pixabay.com
pixabay.com

Honoring the lives of transgender individuals

Fresno State will recognize and honor the lives of transgender individuals during the Transgender Day of Rememberance on Nov. 22.

The annual event, which will take place from 5:30 to 9 p.m. in the North Gym Room 118, not only memorializes transgender individuals who have died, but also provides an opportunity to raises community awareness about transgender existence, identify allies and creates a safe space for transgender people.

There will also be a resource fair and formal program of the event will feature singing, poetry and an art display. 

Speakers are to address topics, including transgender experiences, inclusion, gender diversity and the importance of raising and promoting awareness about transphobia and violence. The evening will conclude with a reading of the names of transgender individuals who have died by violent crimes or suicide in the past year.

The event will also provide information for supportive crisis services, local resources and other organizations. 

The event is free and open to the public. Parking for the event can be purchased at the parking ticket dispenser meters by using the code 629149.

For more information about the event, contact The Cross Cultural and Gender Center at 559-278-4435.