Fresno State forward Nate Grimes goes up for a shot during the Bulldogs’ home win over New Mexico at the Save Mart Center on Feb. 2, 2019. (Jose Romo Jr./The Collegian).

‘Dogs build for the future with three early signings

The Fresno State men’s basketball team has acquired two three-star recruits and a two-star recruit during the early signing period, according to a Fresno State Athletic news release on Thursday.

The Bulldogs basketball program is continuing to solidify its foundations for the future with the addition of these three players; Leo Colimerio, Braxton Meah and Destin Whitaker. 

Colimero, Meah and Whitaker will enroll at Fresno State in 2020 and will be eligible to play as freshmen during the 2020-21 season. All three signed valid National Letters of Intent.

Leo Colimerio is a 6-foot-7 wing with a three-star ranking from Sao Paulo, Brazil. He is a dynamic athlete, who has shown he can make an impact on both ends of the floor with a great feel for the game, court vision and passing ability.

“Leo is a versatile, positionless basketball player,” said head coach Justin Hutson in the release. “In coming from Brazil, he has an international feel for the game with great athleticism. We look forward to him playing all over the floor.” 

Colimerio is currently attending Wasatch Academy in Mount Pleasant, Utah. This fall, he has averaged 16 points, 8 rebounds and 5 assists per game, which is already higher than his numbers from a year ago.

The second three-star player being added to the ‘Dogs roster for next season is Meah, a 7-foot center from Fresno, California. He is a skilled athlete, who runs the floor well and commands a presence in the post.

“Braxton is a 7-foot athlete, who can protect the rim and finish above the rim with the best of them,” Hutson said. “He’s a local product and has been very well coached and developed. We are glad to be able to keep him home, and our community will really enjoy watching him play.”

Last season, Meah averaged a double-double with 11.3 points, 10.1 rebounds and 3.0 blocks per game at San Joaquin Memorial High School. He helped lead his team to a 22-11 record and the central Section Division II title.

The third player to join the Bulldogs next season is Destin Whitaker, a 6-foot-5 shooting guard from Romeoville, Illinois. Whitaker is a versatile backcourt player most known for his ability to shoot from the perimeter. 

“Destin can really shoot it,” Hutson said. “He comes from a basketball family, and has been coached really well. Destin has a high basketball IQ, and while his strength is shooting, he is very versatile.”

Last season, Whitaker averaged 17.4 points, 5 rebounds, 1.6 steals and 1.2 blocks per game while shooting over 80 percent from the free throw line.

“We are very excited to add Leo, Braxton and Destin to our program,” Hutson said. “They are young men with high character, who will be great additions to our community and university.”