The sun sets on Bulldog Stadium during a homecoming game against Colorado State on Saturday, Oct. 26, 2019. (Armando Carreno/The Collegian)

Cropper named to the Paul Hornung Award Honor Roll

Freshman wide receiver Jalen Cropper was named to the week 10 Paul Hornung Award Honor Roll on Monday, according to a Fresno State Athletics new release.

The Paul Hornung Award is given by Texas Roadhouse annually at the end of the season. It is given to the most versatile player in college football by the Louisville Sports Commission and football legend and Louisville native, Paul Hornung.

Cropper is not the only one to receive honors this week. Accompanying Cropper was Antonio Gibson, wide receiver/kick returner from the University of Memphis; Wesley Kennedy III, running back/return specialist from Georgia Southern University; and Avery Williams, cornerback/punt returner from Boise State University.

Cropper contributed with rushing, receiving, returning kicks, passing and accounted for two touchdowns in the Bulldogs’ 41-38 win against the University of Hawaii. Cropper threw a 36-yard touchdown pass on a trick play to open the game, then he scored on a 53-yard run. 

He had three receptions for 62 yards, two rushes for 61 yards, accounted for four first downs, two kick returns for 32 yards and completed a pass.

Each week during the season, a panel of college football experts selects players for the Paul Hornung Award Honor Roll based on performance. A national selection committee composed of 17 sports journalists and former NFL stars vote for the Hornung Award finalists and the winner, with fan voting powered by Texas Roadhouse composing the 18th vote.

College football fans nationwide will have the opportunity to vote for their favorite player during the regular season and again during the bowl season. For more information and to vote, go to www.louisvillesports.org/paul-hornung/award-poll.