Attacker Isabella Sonkoly winds up for a throw against the Canadian national team on Thursday, Nov. 7, 2019. (Larry Valenzuela/ The Collegian)

Canada takes ‘Dogs down in exhibition match

An early season exhibition match between the Fresno State water polo team and the Canadian national team took place at the Fresno State Aquatics Center Thursday afternoon.­

Canada scored 20 points on the ‘Dogs, who were only able to answer with four of their own, leaving the final score 20-4 in favor of the Canadian team, according to a news release by Fresno State Athletics.­

Head coach Natalie Benson said in the release that the Bulldogs are a young team who added eight new players to the roster this season. Benson said that the student-athletes get tremendous experience playing teams like Canada.

“It was great to build our depth and experience level. This was a test of all the things we practiced in the fall, and it showed what we need to continue to work on to be successful during the season,” Benson said in the release. “The great thing about playing a national team with women that are older and more experienced, is that they will find the holes in our game. This showed us exactly what we need to work on.”

The Bulldogs’ only scores came in the first and second quarters of the game with attacker Clair Schade scoring two goals, while center Grace O’Callaghan and attacker Kaitlin Howarth scored one goal each.­

Next for the Bulldogs, they will travel to Stanford on Saturday where they will have a rematch against team Canada and later in the day, they will face the Cardinals for an exhibition match.