Fresno State community members in line at a blood drive in honor of University Police Chief David Huerta on Sept. 18, 2018. (Jorge Rodriguez/The Collegian)

Blood drive held on campus in memory of Police Chief David Huerta

For those looking for a way to give back, Fresno State is hosting a blood drive this week. 

The blood drive is in memory of Fresno State’s former Police Chief David W. Huerta, who died on Aug. 16. 

The first day of the blood drive was on Tuesday, but students, faculty and staff still have a chance to donate from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 13 and Thursday, Nov. 14 in the University Student Union, according to a university news release. 

Those who plan to donate blood must eat a good meal and drink plenty of fluids at least four hours prior to donation. 

It is required to be in good general health, weigh a minimum of 110 pounds and be at least 18 years old. For those who are 16 and 17 years old, a signed consent form is required, which can be found at donateblood.org. A photo ID is required at donor registration.

The event is sponsored by the Jan and Bud Richter Center for Community Engagement and Service-Learning, Fresno State Police Department and Media, Communications and Journalism Department.