The Fresno State women’s volleyball team celebrates after a victory during a home match at the Save Mart Center on Friday, Sept. 6, 2019. (Jorge Rodriguez/The Collegian)

Weekend sports review: ‘Dogs away from home

Football

The Fresno State football team visited Las Cruces, New Mexico, to face the New Mexico State University Aggies on the last non-conference game of the season. The Bulldogs defeated the Aggies 30-17 in a match that saw the ‘Dogs get their second win of the season and their second win in a row.

Fresno State controlled the game for the majority of the time, only allowing the Aggies to score three points in the first half of the game. In the second half, the only points for the Bulldogs came thanks to two field goals by kicker Cesar Silva.

For the Bulldogs, quarterback Jorge Reyna had 147 yards total in the game while completing 20 passes out of 31 attempts. On the ground, the ‘Dogs found success with true freshman running back Jalen Cropper finishing the game with 118 yards on five carries and his first career touchdown.

Josh Hokit and Ronnie Rivers had similar numbers with 13 carries each; 47 yards and a touchdown for Hokit and 43 yards for Rivers. Wide receiver Emoryie Edwards led the team with eight catches for 70 total yards.

On defense, the Bulldogs had a great game, limiting the Aggies to 118 rushing yards and 210 passing yards. Defensive back Wylan Free had two interceptions with one going for 91 yards and a touchdown. 

Fresno State football will be off this week, its next game will be on Oct. 12 when the team visits the Air Force Academy.

Volleyball

The Bulldogs volleyball team continued its Mountain West dominance on Saturday when the team visited the San Jose State University Spartans. Fresno State was in good spirits after sweeping Nevada at home to win its first conference game of the season. 

The ‘Dogs took the match in three sets 25-19, 25-15 and 25-18 to win their fourth game in a row and their second game in conference play.

For the Bulldogs, outside hitter Amilya Thompson had 11 kills, setter Madelyn Halteman had five aces and 28 assists, middle blocker Grace Doyle had three blocks and libero Reagan Leonard had 24 digs.

The Bulldogs will be back home on Thursday, Oct. 3 facing the University of New Mexico Lobos at the Save Mart Center. 

Soccer

After a 1-0 defeat at home against the Air Force Academy on Friday night, the Fresno State Bulldogs were ready to bounce back and get their first conference win of the season against the Colorado College Tigers Sunday afternoon. 

Fresno State defeated the Tigers with a solo goal 1-0 and took home its first win in Mountain West conference of the season, giving the Bulldogs a 5-3-1 overall record and a 1-1 record in the Mountain West.

The only goal of the match came at the 34 minute of the match by defender Robin McCarthy who scored her second goal of the season. The ‘Dogs’ defense was able to keep the Tigers from gaining any momentum during the game.

With this win, the Bulldogs improve their road record to 2-1 and gain momentum for their next game against the Utah State University Aggies. Fresno State will face the Aggies in the third conference game of the season on Thursday, Oct. 3 at the Soccer and Lacrosse Stadium.

Men’s Tennis

Three Bulldogs competed in different tournaments this weekend representing the Fresno State men’s tennis team.

Bulldog Zdenek Derkas, who is ranked No. 63 in the nation, represented Fresno State and the Mountain West at the ITA Oracle Masters that took place in Malibu, California. Daniel Baturyn and Bailey Gong competed in the UC Davis Fall Invitational that took place in Davis, California.

In singles competition, Derkas was defeated in the round of 32, however, he continued in the consolation bracket where he won two matches and lost one. In mixed doubles competition, Derkas and fellow womens’ team member Shir Azran competed together, but fell in the round of 32. 

At the UC Davis Fall Invitational, Baturyn made his debut for the ‘Dogs, falling in singles competition in the round of 32. Baturyn moved to the consolation bracket were he won one match, he later played two extra matches winning both.

Gong, much like Baturyn, was also defeated early in the Invitational. However, Gong got his redemption in the consolation bracket, winning one match. Gong was also able to play two extra matches, but was defeated in both.

In doubles, Gong and Baturyn paired up, but were defeated in the early rounds and had to move on to the consolation bracket. In the consolation bracket, Gong and Baturyn got one win, bringing an end to their tournament.

Next for the ‘Dogs, they will host the Bulldog Fall Classic at the Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center from Friday, Oct. 4 to Sunday, Oct. 6.

XC

Fresno State men’s and women’s cross country teams took a trip up north for the Capital Cross Challenge at the Haggin Oak golf course on Saturday morning. 

The Bulldogs men’s team finished 35th in the 8k run. Matthew Founds led the team with a finish time of 26:24.1. Sam Hawley and Jaden Uphoff finished behind Founds with a 26:39.5 and a 26:58.5 respectively.

The Bulldogs women’s team finished 32nd in the 6k run with Gabbie Lugo as the team’s fastest runner with a time of 22:24.7. Hailey Fernandez and Agita Svetere finished behind Lugo with times of 23:05.4 and 23:09.8, respectively.

Fresno State’s next meet will be the Bronco Invitational in Santa Clara, California, on Saturday, Oct. 19.