The crowd gathers in unison to sing along with American rapper Tyler the Creator at the Selland Arena on Saturday, Oct. 12, 2019. (Larry Valenzuela/The Collegian)

Tyler the Creator hypes intense crowd at Selland Arena

Just three years ago, fans were lined up outside the Rainbow Ballroom for American rapper Tyler the Creator. On Saturday, Oct. 12. the 28-year-old rapper made his return to Fresno by performing at Selland Arena for his “IGOR” Tour.

As Tyler made his way to the main stage, fans could see that he was dressed in a pastel green bodysuit and blonde bob wig with a shimmery silver curtain backdrop. 

The fans were eager to see one of the most entertaining, diverse and talented artists in the rap/pop scene and voices from all around the arena began chanting “Tyler, Tyler.”

Tyler kicked off the night with his song “IGOR’S THEME” from his 2019 album “IGOR.” He followed the song with an opening line to joke around with Fresno fans when he said: “Bunch of meth, two restaurant, motherf—–s.” 

With a witty and unfiltered personality, Tyler amped up the crowd’s energy all night long. 

The openers were a diverse lineup, which included opening acts Goldlink and Blood Orange. 

Goldlink’s grammy nominated artist D’Anthony Carlos started off the night with a quick but energetic set, which had fans dancing and getting ready for the main opener of the night.

Following Goldlink’s set, Blood Orange’s artist Dev Haynes played his groovy electronic funk indie tunes while holding a bouquet of flowers during his set and passing out flowers to individual fans.

In 2017, fans had connected the dots from Tyler’s album “Flower Boy,” where he had multiple songs that hinted about him being vulnerable about his sexual fluidity and queerness. 

This tour Tyler emphasized his sexuality through this alter ego “IGOR” as he was screaming, jumping and singing on stage about a man who has made him love sick. 

From his quirky dance moves, loud hollers, funky beats and color changing backdrops, the crowd remained on their toes to see what Tyler had up his sleeve during each song. 

Midway through the concert Tyler switched things up during his set list. With a dramatic transition, he left his upbeat songs to instead play “IGOR” album’s single “EARFQUAKE” with a gorgeous piano rendition. 

Tyler allowed the crowd to sing along to most of the songs, with energetic fans yelling some lyrics louder than Tyler could even sing. 

The audience could feel the overpowering beats while they jumped and screamed along to Tyler’s lyrics from “IGOR.”

The concert’s atmosphere shifted once again when Tyler played a few hits from his previous albums “Goblin” and “Flower Boy.” Crowd members intensified their passion by shifting at every beat, getting more hyped up and shouting older song suggestions they wanted to hear.

Tyler ended up performing a total of 18 songs, with nearly all of them coming from his new album “IGOR.” After singing hit song “Tamale” from his album “Wolf,” Tyler said: “You all like that old s— huh? Let’s keep it that way!” 

He intensified the already exhilarating mood of his concertgoers as he sang one of his hit singles from 2012, “Yonkers.”

Near the end of the show, Tyler told fans: “For this next song, shut the f— up and look at me perform. I don’t want you to sing or jump, none of you dumb 15-year-olds starting mosh pits for no reason. Just let me sing my song.” 

The crowd stayed true to the American rapper’s words during the first minute of his song “WHAT’S GOOD” and didn’t move. However, the energy Tyler exuded as he sang made it impossible for the fans to keep their promise of not jumping up and down to the movable beats.

Tyler closed his show with one of his most highly proclaimed singles from “IGOR’s” album called “ARE WE STILL FRIENDS?” 

After finishing this song, Tyler left the crowd shortly after with a bow and threw up some peace signs to end the show.

No encore was necessary for the American rapper to return for fans once more. Fans were satisfied with the way the entirety of the show went that night.