Fresno+State+football+ranked+No.+7+in+the+NCAA+Football+attendance+report+for+2017.+The+team+increased+from+a+little+over+25%2C000+fans+to+30%2C362+fans+this+season.+%28Fresno+State+Athletics%29+
Fresno State football ranked No. 7 in the NCAA Football attendance report for 2017. The team increased from a little over 25,000 fans to 30,362 fans this season. (Fresno State Athletics)

Traffic expected for Friday football game

With the upcoming Fresno State football home game scheduled for Friday, Oct. 18, traffic on that day is expected to be more impacted than usual, according to a statement from the Office of the Provost.­

The statement added that the university has planned to minimize any inconveniences resulting from the potential traffic jams.

The game start time is scheduled for 7 p.m., but the university is advising those traveling to and from campus to plan accordingly because tailgating will begin earlier in the afternoon.­

Tailgating will begin at 1 p.m., but will be limited to the grass areas in front of the North Gym, and north of the Aquatics Center, in addition to locations around Bulldog Stadium.

Luckily for the campus community, the Athletics Department has been proactive in limiting the number of locations for tailgating activity near the west side of campus in an effort to minimize the noise near buildings that would have instruction occurring.

Public safety personnel will be on hand to direct traffic on Barstow Avenue starting at 1 p.m.  Barstow Avenue will be one-way only (westbound) between Woodrow and Cedar Avenues. Those exiting campus via Barstow Avenue (west of Woodrow Avenue) will be directed toward Cedar Avenue.

According to the statement, Woodrow Avenue will also be closed to southbound traffic between Barstow and Shaw Avenue. Students and employees parked on the east side of campus are encouraged to exit east, using Matoian Way toward Chestnut Avenue. Those parked on the south side of campus are encouraged to exit via Maple Avenue.

Campus parking permits will continue to be valid in all lots. 

For students who take the Bulldog Express, its scheduled routes will end at 3 p.m. The routes will then be modified for football shuttle services. For more information, riders can visit fresnostate.edu/bulldogexpress.