A university police patrol car parked outside the Henry Madden Library. The university police department is one of one of the four police agencies with jurisdiction on or around Fresno State campus. (Seth Casey/ The Collegian)

Safety training classes offered on campus

Not many people may be aware of what to do in the event of an active shooter on campus. 

However, the Fresno State Police Department (FSPD) is offering help to students, staff and faculty on campus with a program designed to prepare in case of an emergency. 

“Seconds 2 Survive is a program designed to help individuals plan, prepare, practice and perform so that they are empowered to make life-saving decisions in the critical first seconds of an emergency,” said FSPD spokeswoman Amy Luna.

The classes are 60 minutes long and are scheduled monthly. Registration is not required and classes can be scheduled for departments and are made available to off-campus entities. Customized trainings are also available upon request. 

The campus also has different emergency communication methods on campus that students and staff receive, including Bulldog Alerts, outdoor speakers and emails. Students should also visit social media to stay updated and the emergency hotline 559-278-4000 may help as well. 

“It is very important for the campus community to be aware of your environment, know what your options are in an emergency and be familiar with how information will be shared,” Luna said. 

Classes are available on Oct. 16 from 2 to 3 p.m. in the Henry Madden Library Room 2108. The following class is on Nov. 5 from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. in the same library room. The last session is on Dec. 4 from noon to 1 p.m. in the same room as well. 

For more information on safety training and tips visit the Fresno State Police Department website.