The Homecoming Pawrade makes its way through campus to kick off Homescoming week on Monday, Oct. 23, 2019. (Larry Valenzuela/ The Collegian)

Homecoming Kick Off fires up Bulldogs

The week of Homecoming events started on Oct. 21 with an event called Fired Up by the Fountain Kick Off at 11 a.m., which featured games, snacks and dancing for students, staff and faculty to enjoy.

The celebration hosted various student and business booths, as well as music and activities. DJ Kay Rich was on site, pumping the crowd up with upbeat tunes while attendees lined up for free Fresno State ice cream and popcorn, as well as various other games offered at the booths.

The second annual Pawrade kicked off at noon, making its way through campus and ending near the fountain in front of the bookstore. 

There were a total of 16 walking and cart entries, including Student Involvement, Associated Students, Inc. (ASI), the cheer team, Timeout the mascot, the Cross Culture and Gender Center (CCGC), Fresno State Alumni Association with Victor E. Bulldog III and more. 

Some floats were decorated with colorful balloons and signs that displayed which department they were from. The CCGC cart was decorated as Dia de los Muertos, known as Day of the Dead, a Mexican holiday that celebrates the dead. Bright paper flowers were placed all over the cart and some club members had face paintings, flower hair crowns and one individual wore a headdress. 

The judges included Chair of the Media Communications and Journalism Department Betsy Hays, President and CEO of ASI Omar Hernandez and Chair of the Counselor Education and Rehabilitation Department Jenelle Pitt. 

In addition to the judge’s awards, there was also a people’s choice award. Slips were handed out at the rally for attendees to write down which float they thought looked best. 

The 2019 winners included five different categories. 

The winner for most spirited in the walking category was ASI; most spirited in the cart category was awarded to the CCGC. Most creative in the walking category was won by Staff Assembly. Most creative in the cart category was the Office of Vice President and Enrollment Management. Lastly, the people’s choice award also went to the CCGC.