Tribune News Service

Halloween-themed film screenings in downtown Fresno

With the beginning of October finally here and the changing of seasons quickly approaching, people will be looking to find cheap things to do to celebrate the festivities surrounding a favorite spooky holiday of the year: Halloween.

Classic horror movies will be screened throughout the month at several different locations in downtown Fresno for the public to enjoy. For students living on campus, free bus transportation is available to and from downtown when using a valid Fresno State ID card.

The Historic Crest Theatre, located at 1170 Broadway St., and Bitwise Industries, located at 700 Van Ness Ave., will both be providing some free admission and cheap tickets, ranging from $6 to $8 for the following films:

‘The Crow’

A couple is violently murdered the day before their wedding by members of a gang. In order to enact revenge for the injustice committed against them, Eric Draven rises from his grave as a supernatural avenger to punish his murderers. The 1994 film’s screening opens its doors at 7 p.m., and the film begins at 8 p.m. on Oct. 4 at the Historic Crest Theatre. Tickets are $6.

‘Hocus Pocus’

A teenage boy (Max Dennison) and his kid sister explore an abandoned house in Salem, Massachusetts, with a new friend. After Max accidentally opens a cursed book, a coven of evil witches escape and wreak havoc on Halloween night as they search for innocent children to kill for their potion of immortality. The 1993 film’s screening opens its doors at 6:30 p.m. and the film begins at 8 p.m. on Oct. 5 at the Historic Crest Theatre. Admission is free and seating is first come, first serve.­

‘Frankenstein’

An obsessed scientist by the name of Dr. Henry Frankenstein attempts to create life by assembling a living creature from body parts of exhumed corpses. After succeeding in bringing the supernatural monster to life, it escapes, and the scientist has to go on a hunt for his ungodly, tormented creation. The 1931 film’s screening opens its doors at 7 p.m. and the film begins at 8 p.m. on Oct. 11 at the Historic Crest Theatre. Tickets are $6.

‘The Addams Family’

Con artists plan to trick an eccentric family out of their fortune by claiming an accomplice is a long-lost uncle of the family. However, this long-lost uncle cannot prove his ties with the family because he doesn’t have any memories with anyone. Gomes, the head of the family, realizes the trickery going on and must challenge the imposter before it’s too late. The 1991 film’s screening opens its doors at 7 p.m. and the film begins at 8 p.m. on Oct. 12 at the Historic Crest Theatre. Tickets are $6.

‘Poltergeist’

A Californian family find out their TV is haunted when ghosts start communicating with them through it. From friendly to menacing, the family learns that the spirits are not to be taken lightly when the youngest child, Carol Ann, goes missing. It takes the help of a parapsychologist and exorcist to discover where the young girl was taken. The 1982 film’s screening begins at 7 p.m. on Oct. 16 at Bitwise Industries. Admission for the screening is free.

‘Rosemary’s Baby’

A young woman and her husband move into a new apartment with a peculiar reputation for strange occurrences and odd neighbors. When the wife suddenly becomes pregnant, paranoia regarding her unborn child leads her to isolation as she learns the diabolic truth after giving birth. The 1968 film’s screening opens its doors at 7 p.m., and the film begins at 8 p.m. on Oct. 18 at the Historic Crest Theatre. Tickets are $6 or attendees can get $1 off by dressing up in a costume.

‘Pet Sematary’

After relocating from Boston to rural Maine, a couple soon discovers that they moved into a property with a hidden burial ground in the nearby forest. When tragedy strikes, the discovery is made that the collection of mysterious graves hold the power to raise the dead. Celebrating the 30th anniversary, the 1989 film’s screening opens its doors at 7 p.m., and the film begins at 8 p.m. on Oct. 19 at the Historic Crest Theatre. Tickets are $6.

‘A Nightmare on Elm Street’

A group of teenagers fall prey to Freddy Krueger, a disfigured monster of a man who creeps into their dreams to terrorize and kill them, one by one, in real life. In order to find out the truth behind what these teenagers’ parents did to Krueger long ago, they all have to connect the puzzle pieces before he finishes everyone off. Celebrating its 35th anniversary, the 1984 film’s screening opens its doors at 7 p.m. and the film begins at 8 p.m. on Oct. 25 at the Historic Crest Theatre. Tickets are $6.

‘The Exorcist’

A teenage girl becomes possessed by a paranormal entity, and her mother needs the help of two priests to save her daughter’s soul from the devil. The story line for “The Exorcist” is loosely based on actual events that occurred. The 1973 director’s cut film’s screening opens its doors at 10:45 p.m., and the film begins at midnight on Oct. 26 at the Historic Crest Theatre. Tickets are $8.

Film tickets for the Historic Crest Theatre can be purchased online at brownpapertickets.com.