Midfielder+Lorena+Montanes+controls+the+ball+during+a+match+against+Boise+State+University+at+the+Soccer+and+Lacrosse+Stadium+on+Sunday%2C+Oct.+6%2C+2019.+%28Photo+courtesy+of+Fresno+State+Athletics%29+
Midfielder Lorena Montanes controls the ball during a match against Boise State University at the Soccer and Lacrosse Stadium on Sunday, Oct. 6, 2019. (Photo courtesy of Fresno State Athletics)

Fresno State soccer takes down Boise State at home

After a thrilling 1-1 match against the Utah State University Aggies, the Fresno State Bulldogs looked to gain some in conference momentum facing the Boise State University Broncos at home on Sunday afternoon.

The Bulldogs pulled off a 2-1 comeback win against the Broncos, getting their second win of the season in conference and adding to their overall record of 6-3-2, according to a news release by Fresno State Athletics.

Boise State began the first half of the match by outshooting the Bulldogs 4-1 in the first 15 minutes of the half. The Broncos took advantage of their offensive dominance and scored the first goal of the match in the 23rd minute of the game. 

The Bulldogs started to gain control of the match in the last minutes of the first half, shooting three consecutive shots on the Broncos’ net but without any success.

Fresno State goalkeeper Valentina Vivas had four saves in the first half, which helped the ‘Dogs stay within one goal of Boise State.

In the second half, the Bulldogs continued with the same offensive momentum they had just before halftime. The ‘Dogs scored the equalizer early in the second half when forward Ele Avery used her speed to break away from the defenders and had a one-on-one with Broncos goalie.

The Bulldog’s first goal came in the 58th minute, giving hope to the ‘Dogs of a comeback and win.

Just a few minutes after the first goal, the Bulldogs scored the second goal of the match, taking the lead. 

The goal came off of a corner kick in the 62nd minute by defender Robyn McCarthy who sent a volley to the box and found midfielder Lorena Montanes who was able to put the ball in the back of the net for the score.

After the goal, Fresno State’s defense shut down the Broncos’ offense, only allowing them three shots on target for the entire second half.

Fresno State took home the victory, snapping Boise State’s seven-match winning streak and giving the Bulldogs their second win in conference play.

The Bulldogs will be away from home next weekend when they visit Colorado State University on Friday and the University of Wyoming on Sunday.