TNS
Patrons start to gather at Twist Social Club for the LGBTQ Browns Backers before their game against the Tennessee Titans. September 8, 2019

Fresno needs more resources for LGBTQ

As a queer citizen of the central valley, I think Fresno, as a city, needs more resources for LGBTQ+ individuals.

There are Fresno organizations that are queer-focused and many nonqueer-centric organizations are inclusive. But the lack of a general resource center for the city of Fresno’s size is kind of mind-blowing.

Common Space, located on Fulton Avenue downtown, is a start. But it is a very cramped and small space used mostly for group meetings.

The old physical LGBTQ+ center here in Fresno unfortunately closed in 2017 due to difficulty staying afloat being an all volunteer-run organization.

The Merced space also closed its doors in 2017, making centralized queer resources in the Central Valley fewer and farther between.

I am endlessly glad and thankful that there are so many LGBTQ+ organizations here in the Valley, but I think having a central location for different resources and services would help immensely, especially in our current socio-political climate.

It would provide a great safe space for people of all backgrounds and create a distinct sense of unified community.