Fresno State men’s tennis player Bailey Gong. (Photo courtesy of Fresno State Athletics)

Daniel Baturyn, Bailey Gong have success at Bulldog Classic

The Fresno State men’s tennis team hosted the second annual Bulldog Classic over the weekend at the Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center at Fresno State, according to a Fresno State Athletics news release.

The ‘Dogs’ success during the Bulldog Classic came in the singles tournament, but the Bulldogs also participated in the doubles tournament.

During the tournament this weekend, the spotlight was on freshman Daniel Baturyn, who took second place in the Single Flight White, and senior Bailey Gong, who took third place in the Single Flight Blue.

In the opening round of the tournament, Baturyn defeated Dariush Jalai from University of California, Davis, 6-2, 7-5. After the win in the opening round, Baturyn would move on to the quarterfinals where he would defeat Andrew Watterson of Saint Mary’s College in straight sets 6-3,6-3.

Once Baturyn made it to the semifinals, he would beat Abhishek Bastola of Saint Mary’s College 6-1,6-1. After a great run, Baturyn would be bested by Phuc Huynh from the University of San Francisco in a close three-set match in the championship 3-6, 6-4, 6-3.

Gong would also win his match in the opening round of the tournament. He defeated Elliot Anarp from Sacramento State 6-3, 6-4. Gong would advance to the quarterfinals where he would fall to Akbar Mamirov of Saint Mary’s College 6-3, 6-4. He would win the third-place match against Cody Castro of Ventura College 7-6(2), 6-1.

In the singles, both Baturyn and Gong had success but that would not translate into the doubles matches. Both would fall to Jackson Hawk and Mamirov in a tiebreaker 8-7(7). Baturyn and Gong would move on to the back side of the bracket and would fall to Castro and Antonio Rosales of Ventura College.

The Fresno State’s mens tennis team will travel to Santa Barbara to compete in the UC Santa Barbara Invitational Oct. 11-13.