Audience members fill up seats for CineCulture’s free film screenings at the Peters Education Center Auditorium, located inside the Student Recreation Center on Friday, Aug. 25, 2019. (Larry Valenzuela/The Collegian)

CineCulture screens diverse array of short films

CineCulture at Fresno State will present several short film screenings and director/producer discussion talks for students, faculty and the public on Oct. 25 at 5:30 p.m. in the Peters Education Center Auditorium, located inside of the Student Recreation Center.

The film screenings will be shown first and following the film will be a discussion with Nicholas Manting Brewer, “Lumpkin, GA” director; Emily Grandcolas, “Lumpkin, GA” producer and Mayra Flores, “Our Country” and “Invented Borders” director, according to a Fresno State news release.

Overview of short films

Lumpkin, GA” portrays the fate of a fading Georgia town as an undocumented immigrant is caught in legal limbo, facing deportation and reflecting on his future while a private immigration prison generates millions in profits. 

Our Country” is an award-winning experimental animated documentary that captures some of the innumerable struggles immigrant families face living in the U.S. 

“Invented Borders” is an animated and live action video essay on the different facets of today’s emotional immigration debate in the U.S. 

Parking will be free after 4 p.m. on Friday with no permit necessary in Lots P3 and P2. 

These short film screenings are sponsored by the Department of Chicano and Latin American Studies.