Ram Reyes/Collegian Archive

ASI says goodbye to director of operations in latest meeting

Fresno State Associated Students, Inc. (ASI) said goodbye to its director of operations at its biweekly senate meeting on Wednesday, Oct. 23 at 4 p.m. in the University Student Union (USU). 

The meeting continued with public announcements to address any Fresno State and/or ASI matters. 

One of the comments was from Thomas Martin, who represented the volleyball club. Martin spoke about the distribution of budgets given out to sports clubs. The volleyball club had asked for $3,000 for this year and was given $1,600, which had brought the club $1,000 short of the previous year’s budget of $2,600. 

Martin discussed the impact that the club has made to the campus and community, such as players serving as referees for the Division I volleyball matches, helping women practice and hosting an all-star game for high school students in the spring. 

During the staff reports, director of operations Tara Powers Mead announced that her last day in ASI will be on Nov. 1. 

“We are unfortunately losing a great staff member, mentor and friend,” said Hisaham A. Qutob, executive vice president. 

Powers Mead has worked for the students in ASI since April 7, 2008.. 

“There is nothing that could pull me away from this position — other than my dad needs help,” Powers Mead said. “Their business is growing so big, so fast, they need more hands. Anything for family.” 

Powers Mead added, “this has been one of the best opportunities that I have ever had, [and] the families that I have made have been phenomenal.”

During the meeting, senators voted ASI’s office coordinator and outreach coordinator as co-directors, splitting the role of director of operations. 

“It’s a growing day for ASI today,” Qutob said. 

Senators then voted on a new ASI budget change and a hospitality policy.

Toward the end of the meeting, sports clubs had the opportunity to speak about their particular application. They were allowed to let the senators know how impacted their club would be, given their financial support from ASI.  

Fresno State ASI will hold its next biweekly meeting on Nov. 6 in the USU at 4 p.m.