TNS
Reynard Richardson, 9 from the Salvation Army summer camp explores with the light table at Akron Art Museum's newly-opened Live Creative Studio on Friday June 7, 2019 in Akron, Ohio. [Mike Cardew/Beacon Journal/Ohio.com]

Why your space is more important than you think

Whether it be your bedroom, your car, work office or living room, your space is more important than you think.

Being a college student, I think mostly everyone can agree that time management is hard to navigate.

However, one big factor that no one thinks about regarding time management is how important surrounding space is.

When I first started school, I used to come home after a long day, lie in my bed and my messy room and complain that I had no energy to get my homework done.

I never considered that the space around me could affect my level of effectiveness. 

That was until I started to think, ‘Maybe if I create a space in my room that feels more inviting, more organized, then I might feel better when I came home after a long day.’

I remember talking to a professor, who asked me: “What is your new space going to be around you?” 

After explaining to her that I was in the process of moving into my new apartment she told me something that’s stuck with me. 

“Space is where we do our creative thinking. Where we allow our thinking to become thoughts to execute our visions.”

The next day I bought a cheap desk to see if this would help. I also added plants, a candle and artwork as decor to make me feel refreshed.

It didn’t dawn on me that just having a clean and fresh space helps improve your work ethnic tremendously.

Now I know you’re thinking, ‘Well, some of us aren’t privileged enough to just create a new space.’

Let me reassure you that creating a space is not always about money. You can create things or simply buy a few things at the dollar tree to be more organized.

You can also try to find a space that feels right to you. As Fresno State students, I am sure that almost everyone has spent at least one day in the library.

I know some of us have learned that just because we are in a library, that doesn’t mean we are going to be 100 percent focused. 

A strategy that I try is finding a few places in the Henry Madden Library where I remain focused.

For example, I use the reading room on the third floor when I need to write stories. I use the computers on the second floor when I need to write essays. I even use the second floor couches for a nice little nap.

Finding these few spaces help separate when it’s time to work and rest. The two should never coexist at the same time. 

Our bed is made for sleep, and when we associate it with homework our brains are wired to believe it is OK to rest more often than if we were at a public space, like a library or nearby Starbucks.

Next time you are having a hard time focusing or feeling like you can’t be creative, find your space. Find a place that is not just a place, but a safe space for you to soar in your education.