DIANA GIRALDO
The Fresno State women’s volleyball team celebrates after a victory during a home match at the Save Mart Center on Friday, Sept. 6, 2019. (Jorge Rodriguez/The Collegian)

Weekend sports review

Volleyball

The Fresno State women’s volleyball team participated in the Roadrunner Classic over the weekend. CSU Bakersfield, San Francisco University and UC Davis were also part of the tournament that took place in Bakersfield, California.­

On Friday, the Bulldogs faced UC Davis, losing to the Aggies in four sets, 25-18, 25-20, 17-25 and 25-17.

The Bulldogs’ overall record dropped to an even 5-5 for the season. However, they will had two opportunities to change that on Saturday.

During the first game on Saturday, the Bulldogs faced San Francisco, which held an overall record of 4-5. Fresno State swept San Francisco in three sets, 25-23, 25-23 and 25-22, giving the Bulldogs their first win of the classic.

In their final weekend game, the Bulldogs faced CSU Bakersfield, a rematch of a loss the ‘Dogs suffered at home during the Bulldog Invitational. The Bulldogs took the win in decisive fashion by sweeping the Roadrunners in three sets, 25-15, 25-16, 25-16.

Fresno State’s overall record improved to 7-6 during the weekend. Outside hitter Desiree Sukhov was named All-Tournament with 41 kills, 26 digs and 10 blocks. The Bulldogs will face off against the University of Nevada on Thursday night at the Save Mart Center.

Equestrian

The Fresno State women’s equestrian team opened its season this past weekend, starting with a match against the University of South Carolina on Friday.

The ‘Dogs lost the match with a score of 8-11, dropping their first game of the season.

However, the Bulldogs found redemption on Saturday when they faced Sweet Briar College on a Jumping Seat only event. Fresno State defeated Sweet Briar College, 6-4, winning their first competition of the season.­

Later that same day, the ‘Dogs faced the University of Lynchburg, again in a Jumping Seat only competition. Fresno State was able to defeat Lynchburg with a score of 6-2, giving the Bulldogs a second win on the day.

The Bulldogs equestrian team will be back home on Saturday, Oct. 4, when they host TCU for the first Big 12 Conference game of the season.

Men’s Tennis

The Fresno State men’s tennis team traveled to Columbia, South Carolina, over the weekend, participating in the Gamecock Fall Invitational hosted by the University of South Carolina.­

The Bulldogs’ Angus Bradshaw and Zdenek Derkas both competed in the tournament in singles and later paired for doubles.­

Bradshaw was able to defeat his first opponent of the tournament and was able to advance to the quarter finals where he was defeated in two sets.

Derkas, who is ranked number 63 in the nation and number five in the tournament, advanced to the semifinals where he was defeated in two sets.­

In doubles matchup, both Derkas and Bradshaw automatically advanced to the quarterfinals after the University of North Carolina team withdrew from the match.­

In the quarterfinals, the Bulldogs lost the match against the team from the University of Miami.

The Bulldogs will get ready to host the Bulldog Fall Classic on the weekend of Oct. 4 to 6.