Take responsibility in keeping your campus clean

Fresno State is by far one of the few places in Fresno that keeps its space looking clean and pleasant. If we take a look around our city, you will find littering such as in streets, parks, freeways and various other locations.    

Fresno State students should take pride in being a part of a university that has great employees who contribute to keeping this campus clean for students to come and learn.

From time to time, there may be a piece of trash or recyclable bottles on the ground, but the amount hardly compares to the trash and bottles littered around the city. 

I believe that we, as students, should lend a helping hand and keep up the work with providing a clean campus for visitors and for a better learning environment. 

Recently, there have been many landscaping projects on campus and other restorative initiatives, such as having our library windows cleaned. 

The custodial services department at Fresno State, under the facilities management department, helps to keep the campus clean and pleasant for a good learning environment for students, faculty and staff. 

We should take a minute of our day whenever we see workers keeping our campus clean and acknowledge that our campus will continue to stay clean because of them. But we should also take responsibility in picking up after ourselves.

Whenever we drop a piece of paper or a dirty napkin, we should not leave it behind for other students to pick up. It should not be someone else’s responsibility.   

Another suggestion would be creating a day in which all of the workers of the facilities management team are shown appreciation by the Fresno State community. 

Responsibility and pride are made possible by these employees, but we should do all we can to help them.