Pennywise, the shapeshifting embodiment of fear and evil, returns in IT Chapter 2 on Friday, Sept. 6, 2019. (Tribune News Service)

Chillers, thrillers and killers this year

Over the past three months, there have been a string of movies released that have come across as spooky themed to give film fans a chilled atmosphere in the theaters.

Beginning with the month of June, there have been many thrillers, dramas, mysteries and horror movies that span from reinventions of classic movies and children’s books that come to life to the common tropes of something normal in a small town quickly turning into an inescapable nightmare.

The following movies were some hot films from this summer that garnered a lot of attention for their popularity and familiarity while entertaining avid moviegoers and lovers of suspense, gore and so much more:

‘Midsommar’

A group of friends plan a trip to visit Sweden, one of their homelands, for a cultural festival and are unprepared for the sinister atmosphere that awaits them. The celebration’s theme focuses on choosing one woman who becomes the official May Queen, but the mystery surrounding the Swedish natives takes a dark turn when foreign visitors begin disappearing and immoral choices strike fear in participants of this cult-like festival.

‘Child’s Play’

The thriller and slasher-themed horror flick from the ‘80s returns again as the revamped Chucky doll comes to life for a little boy named Andy. The murderous doll is given as a present to Andy and develops a twisted fixation on friendship as one by one, the people closely associated with Andy find a gruesome death awaiting them. With new plot developments that differ from the original film series, this adaptation truly brings to light the terror of obsession, murder and revenge converging together as one.

‘Annabelle Comes Home’

The Conjuring Universe centers itself once again on the infamous cursed doll named Annabelle. It has been locked up for the world’s safety inside of an artifacts room belonging to paranormal investigators Ed and Lorrain Warren. All has been quiet surrounding their lives and house until their daughter’s friend accidentally wakes up all of the evil spirits inside of that room as her innocent curiosity leads the Warren family into a terror-filled night. As the third movie focuses on the possessed doll’s past and unholy nature, the Warrens must learn how to find a way to purify their home from the evil that has encroached upon it once more.

‘Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark’

Some people may be familiar with the popular series of horror tales for children’s books by the name of “Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark,” written by Alvin Schwartz. But on Aug. 9, the movie adaptation brought every fan’s imagination of monsters they read about at a young age coming to life before their eyes. Twisting together specific tales from the books with a mystery and thriller movie plot, fans are able to follow the unfortunate mishappenings surrounding a group of teenagers who each have to face their own fears as the stories come alive to snatch them from the real world into eternal darkness.

Here are some other films that future moviegoers can look forward to seeing in the theaters during the upcoming months that continue carrying a spooky theme throughout the end of the year:

‘IT Chapter Two’

The outcast group of children come back home to Derry, Maine, as their worst fears have returned to haunt them after 27 years of forcing Pennywise’s murder spree back to rest. The entity of shapeshifting fear and evil is most known to transform into a clown to wreak havoc and kill children within the small town. Unless those same seven outcasts do something about it as adults, Pennywise’s reign over Derry will continue to plague generation after generation. The Stephen King-based book-to-film adaptation will be released on Friday, Sept. 6, 2019.

‘Zombieland: Double Tap’

The post-apocalyptic world of humans and zombies strikes again, 10 years after the original release of “Zombieland” in October of 2009. There are four surviving humans left after a virus infects the entire population and turns them into zombies. After finding a safe haven, this dysfunctional family will need to figure out a way to kill evolved zombies, encounter other surviving humans and try not to kill each other for everyone’s quirky personalities and faults. The new release of the movie series will star the original actors (Woody Harrelson, Jesse Eisenberg, Emma Stone and Abigail Breslin), director and writers, with a new setting surrounding the White House on Friday, Oct. 18, 2019.

‘Doctor Sleep’

The sequel to Stephen King’s book-to-film adaptation, “The Shining,” finally reveals itself 39 years later with the release of “Doctor Sleep” on Friday, Nov. 8, 2019. The mystery, psychological horror and thriller-based film series continues to follow the depths and wickedness of alcohol’s consuming nature while the main lead struggles to find peace with his father’s murderous past. Focusing instead on Dan Torrance, the son of a homicidal maniac, the plot will revolve around finding other individuals who have the same paranormal, extrasensory gift called “the shine” and a cult group which will not be stopped on its witch hunt to sacrifice these special individuals to find immortality, unless Dan and a fellow extrasensory girl find a solution.