Courtesy Fresno State

Robert Costa coming to Fresno State for President Castro’s Lecture Series

Robert Costa, a national political reporter for the Washington Post and moderator for PBS, will return to Fresno State to speak starting on Tuesday, Oct. 1 at 7 p.m. at the Save Mart Center.

Fresno State President Dr. Joseph I. Castro will carry on his fourth-year tradition of the President Lecture Series, for which he invites national guests to campus to inform the community on the political matters that could potentially affect the Central Valley.

Costa will discuss recent events regarding President Donald J. Trump, his views on the 2020 election, the current U.S. Congress and his insight on the political climate for both parties. 

Following the lecture, Costa will moderate a panel of four Fresno State students and faculty to discuss national issues.

On the panel will be Rachel Lewis, a Smittcamp scholar and student journalist for The Collegian and Madera Tribune; Dr. Lisa Bryant, a Fresno State political science professor; Dr.  James Rocha, a Fresno State philosophy professor; and Omar Hernandez, an animal science major and president and CEO of Fresno State’s Associated Students, Inc.

The event will close with Costa answering questions from the audience.

Costa is also a political analyst for NBC News and MSNBC. His daily reporting includes in-depth coverage of both Congress and the White House. He has also recently interviewed Trump, Vice President Michael R. Pence, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and several Democratic presidential candidates.

“Community members who attend this event will learn fascinating and thought-provoking insights from Robert Costa, who has first-hand interactions with President Trump and members of Congress,” Castro said in a university news release. “I’m pleased to welcome back Mr. Costa, who has developed close ties with our journalism students and faculty since his first campus visit in 2017.” 

Save Mart Center doors will open at 5:30 p.m. No backpacks will be allowed. The event will be free and open to the public, along with free parking.

For any additional information or disability accommodations, you may call 559-278-2424.

This story has been revised due to change of order of events.