American rapper Post Malone paused for a moment during the song “Better Now” at the Save Mart Center on Saturday, Sept. 21, 2019. (Larry Valenzuela/The Collegian)

Post Malone rocks SMC stage

Post Malone brought the heat to the Save Mart Center (SMC) for his near-sellout performance Saturday night.

No really, there were smoke machines and fire blazing from the stage as fans watched Malone belt out some of his biggest hits on Sept. 21. 

Malone made a stop in Fresno for his Runaway tour after releasing his newest album and the second biggest debut of any album in 2019 thus far, “Hollywood’s Bleeding.” He is on tour with artist Swae Lee, who could not make it to the show on Saturday. 

Tyla Yaweh, a young Florida rapper who was signed by Post Malone, opened the show. The rapper sang some of his singles, like “She Bad” and danced his way through the crowd as he sang “Drugs and Pain.”

As an opener, Yaweh tried to amp up the crowd as he jumped and stomped on the stage during his set. However, his energy did not quite match-up with the audience for some songs. It’s safe to say not everyone knew all of his lyrics.

But as for Malone, whose given name is Austin Richard Post, he managed to tie together 21 songs during the two-hour performance. The majority of the songs were from his newest album, but he also pleased the crowd by pulling songs from his earlier albums, like “Go Flex” and “Psycho.” 

The crowd sang along to fan favorites, such as “White Iverson” and “Sunflower.” Malone also didn’t fail to deliver the hit song “Rockstar,” which features 21 Savage. The performance included Malone smashing a guitar, stomping on it and then pouring his drink on it, like a rockstar would. 

The show took place on a single piece of runway stage that extended a short way into the floor audience, leaving the performers to walk back and forth while singing. A mic stand and acoustic guitar were the only props. Although, the laser lights displaying different colors added an appealing look. 

In all fairness, Malone delivered a great show. But compared to other shows, like in 2018 at the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles, the Fresno performance just didn’t come close. The show in L.A. was sold out, and Malone brought high-profile guest artists to join him, such as Justin Bieber, G-Eazy and 21 Savage. 

It was surprising to see that the show in Fresno didn’t sell out, considering how popular the headliner was. 

Malone had ventured to Fresno once before on Dec. 9, 2018, when fans spotted him at the SMC as an attendee for a Metallica concert.

With crowded lines that surrounded the SMC stretched out to get into the building for Saturday’s concert, some empty sections and single seats remained amiss throughout the performance’s entirety.

Maybe more Fresnans will sell out his next visit.