Fresno State wrestler Josh Hokit during a home match at the Save Mart Center. Jose Romo Jr./Collegian.

Five ‘Dogs fight their way into the top 25

Five Fresno State wrestlers have been named to the top 25 preseason individual rankings released by Flowrestling on Tuesday, according to a Fresno State Athletics news release.

Josh Hokit, AJ Nevills, Khristian Olivas, Jackson Hemauer and Gary Joint were also ranked in WIN Magazine’s preseason rankings released on Sept. 11. Some of the rankings vary between Flowrestling and WIN Magazine.

Fresno State has brought back all five NCAA Championship-qualifying wrestlers from a year ago, including Hokit, who comes in at fifth in the rankings at 197 pounds after placing fifth at the 2019 NCAA Championship.

Hokit is coming off an All-American finish in the NCAA Championship, which hasn’t been accomplished by a Fresno State wrestler since Mario Botelho received All-American honors back in 2003.

Junior heavyweight Nevills is ranked 14th in WIN Magazine and 16th in Flowrestling, alongside redshirt senior Khristian Olivas, checking in at 149 pounds, in their respective weight classes. Both wrestlers have made two appearances at the NCAA Championship.

Redshirt sophomore Hemauer, who comes in at 184 pounds, ranked 18th in both Flowrestling and WIN Magazine. Fellow redshirt sophomore Gary Joint, checking in at 133 pounds, also ranked 18th on WIN Magazine earlier this month and ranked 23rd for Flowrestling.

Flowrestling has also come out with its top 25 preseason team rankings. Four of the ‘Dogs’ opponents are seen in the top 25. Wisconsin, being one of them, checks in fifth, followed by BIG 12 conference opponents Iowa State and Oklahoma University, ranked 13 and 19, respectively. Rounding out the list is University of Illinois checking in at No. 24.

Fresno State will see Wisconsin in the first match of the season at the Battle of Midway in San Diego, Nov. 1, 2019.