Courtesy of Keith Kountz/Fresno State Athletics

‘Dogs to wrestle in the Battle on the Midway

The Fresno State Wrestling team will once again battle atop the famed USS Midway as it will compete in the Battle on the Midway on Friday, Nov. 1, according to a Fresno State Athletics news release.

The third-annual Battle on the Midway is scheduled to have twin duals for the first time in the event’s brief history, according to the release.­

Fresno State will kick off the 2019-20 season by facing Army in the opening match.

This will mark Fresno State’s third appearance in the Battle on the Midway. Meanwhile, Wisconsin, Army and Navy will be making their first-ever appearance aboard the USS Midway.­

The USS Midway Museum marketing director Scott McGaugh said that for almost 50 years, the USS Midway not only launched jets but was also a haven for the crew’s off-duty recreation and sport.

“It’s fitting the same holds today for collegiate wrestling,” McGaugh said in the release.

This event, presented by Left Coast Wrestling and the San Diego Imperial Kids Wrestling Association (SDIKWA), will mark the second consecutive year that the Battle on the Midway will air on national television.

The CBS Sports Network will deliver the action nationwide with two two-hour airings.­

“This is such a boost for the entire sport of wrestling to be able to have such a unique event like this on one of the most famous aircraft carriers ever commissioned,” Bulldogs head wrestling coach Troy Steiner said in the release.­

Fresno State comes into the 2019-20 season with a 9-8 record and was unranked at the end of the 2018-19 season.

“We’re honored to have been invited to compete in the first two Battles on the Midway, and we’re looking forward to facing Army at this year’s event,” Steiner said in the release.