Whats that third pedal for? and other questions are answered by an online tutorial Hagerty Insurance gives employees who want to learn about manual transmissions. (Mark Phelan/Detroit Free Press/TNS)
“What’s that third pedal for?” and other questions are answered by an online tutorial Hagerty Insurance gives employees who want to learn about manual transmissions. (Mark Phelan/Detroit Free Press/TNS)

Bring back three pedal cars

The three-pedal breed of cars are becoming more and more scarce and may eventually become extinct.

Many car manufacturers have noticed that people just don’t seem to want to drive stick and are pushing to get rid of the manual transmission car.

Driving stick used to be popular. Many people chose to drive stick because of the lower pricing for those cars, the fuel economy, they seemed to be more durable than automatic cars and they are very fun to drive.

Driving stick seemed to check all of the boxes when it came to choosing a car but, many people are still driving automatic.

The number of people driving stick has gone down so much that Car and Driver, the bible for car lovers, started a campaign to push people to bring back manual transmission. They even created a hashtag, #SavetheManuals, back in 2016. It didn’t get much traction. 

Driving stick is the best feeling ever. You get a feeling of control and have more security when you drive. It feels like the car is doing what you tell it, and it feels great.

Many people may disagree with that because they say driving stick is very inconvenient. They say that it sucks to drive in traffic, it sucks when you have kids or that it just doesn’t make sense to drive stick living in this city.

There is some truth to those comments, but you can find things that you don’t like in almost everything if you try hard enough.

Being someone who drives stick, you almost freak out when finding someone else who drives stick. You have an instant connection with that person and it almost makes that person seem like family. 

So I think that we should make a push to bring back this dying breed.