Courtesy Fresno State Athletics.

Senior Jared Rice earns 2 preseason award list nods

The 2019 Fresno State football team continues to earn preseason recognition as senior tight end Jared Rice has been named to both the Biletnikoff Award and John Mackey Award watch list, according to Fresno State Athletics.

The John Mackey Award is given annually to the most outstanding collegiate tight end in the nation, while the Biletnikoff Award is awarded to the most outstanding pass catcher, regardless of position.

For the tight end, the John Mackey Award selection marks back-to-back selections for Rice, falling short of the semifinalist cut as a junior in 2018 and his first Biletnikoff nod, being one of only four tight ends to make  the list in 2019.

As a second team All-Mountain West selection, Rice garnered national recognition in 2018, starting all 14 games and capping off his season with 55 receptions and 664 receiving yards, good enough for the fourth-most and sixth-most among all FBS tight ends and second on the Bulldogs in both categories.

Rice’s best performance came against Wyoming on Oct. 13, gaining 94 yards and one touchdown on a career-high seven receptions, earning him a national honorable mention by the Mackey Award organization.

In 2019, Rice will be a dependable security blanket for first time starting quarterback Jorge Reyna, as he becomes the longest tenured starter on the new look Bulldog offense.