graduation 2024

An ear of corn peaks through the leaf-filled container at the Gibson Farm Market on Sept. 20, 2017. The corn is one of the market’s most popular summer item. (Daniel Avalos/The Collegian)

Fresno State sweet corn available for the first time this year

Summer is officially here. The Rue and Gwen Gibson Farm Market will begin selling Fresno State’s campus-grown sweet corn for the first time this year on June 7 at 7 a.m.

Yellow corn will be 50 cents per ear for the duration of the summer while supplies last, and white corn will be available the following week, according to a university news release.

Free samples of grilled sweet corn will be available from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., and information tables will provide family activities and entertainment.

In the past, more than 200 shoppers have lined up the morning sweet corn went on sale. If that should happen, the release stated, customers will be let in periodically to remain within the building’s 40-person capacity.

On last year’s opening day, customers bought 36,980 ears and a record 81,318 ears during the three-day opening weekend in early June. More than 550,000 ears were sold in 2018.

Corn was first grown on campus fields in 1981 and was first sold to the public in 1982.

Sweet corn is grown on the University Agricultural Laboratory’s 1,000-acre premises. The laboratory includes 20 enterprises that provide student-made dairy, food processing, fruit, horticulture, livestock, meat, nut and wine products to the Gibson Farm Market.

The campus farm is managed by staff, faculty and students who are part of the Jordan College of Agricultural Sciences and Technology.

The store’s weekend hours will be from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Friday and Saturday and 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Sunday.

The market will return to its normal summer hours on Monday, June 10, from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Monday through Thursday; 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Friday and Saturday; and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Sunday.