Dr. Rajee Amarasinghe, chair of the Fresno State mathematics department. (Fresno State News)

Fresno State receives $1.4 million to help future math teachers

Fresno State is working to reverse an acute shortage of qualified math teachers in California by offering students scholarships.

The Fresno State Department of Mathematics received a $1.4 million award from the National Science Foundation to give scholarships to help math majors in the integrated credential option pay tuition and other costs so they can concentrate on earning their degrees, according to a university news release.

The award money is to provide financial support to students enrolled in the university’s integrated credential program, through which they can earn their bachelor’s degrees and teaching credentials in four years.

“With this grant, we can lead and create a new pathway for students to teaching. I hope this will help us to increase the number of teachers we are producing,” said Rajee Amarasinghe, professor and chair of the Fresno State Department of Mathematics. “If we are successful, this will be a model for the other universities in the California State University System.”

The Growing Outstanding Teachers of Math (GOTMath) will also provide academic and extra-curricular support to help students in difficult classes.

“GOTMath will expand the university’s legacy of producing math teachers and leaders who inspire all students in classrooms throughout the Central Valley,” said Robert Harper, interim provost and vice president for Academic Affairs.