College of Health and Human Services (Larry Valenzuela/ The Collegian)

Fresno State’s Nursing master’s program loses accreditation, what’s next for those enrolled?

Fresno State announced on Wednesday that its School of Nursing’s master’s program would no longer be admitting new students this fall due to the program’s loss of accreditation.

In a university news release, Dr. Jody Hironaka-Juteau, dean of the College of Health and Human Services, stated the loss of accreditation resulted from a shortfall in satisfying certain documentation requirements of the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).

“We did not expect the commission to take this action, and we regret the temporary uncertainty this issue has created for our students,” Hironaka-Juteau said in the release. “We are moving swiftly to restore accreditation to the nursing master’s program, and we are committed to minimizing any potential impact on our 23 currently enrolled students.”

During its review of the program, CCNE determined that the master’s degree program failed to adequately document or provide adequate supporting data of its methods in assessing and evaluating student outcomes, curriculum, clinical experiences, faculty performance and overall program goals.

Despite the CCNE’s decision, announced June 5, it does not affect any graduates of the master’s program, including those who received degrees in May 2019, or any other accredited programs in the School of Nursing.

For the students who are currently enrolled in the master’s program, Hironaka-Juteau said she believes the School of Nursing can meet the CCNE’s requirements for a full restoration of accreditation, eliminating any effects on the 23 students currently enrolled in the two-year master’s program.

According to the release, Fresno State has arranged for the CCNE to review the master’s nursing program during an on-site visit in September to consider reinstating the master’s program accreditation.

Hironaka-Juteau said she is confident that Fresno State will be notified of a successful accreditation by the CCNE in spring 2020

“Given our confidence in accreditation being reinstated in spring 2020, we are encouraging the master’s students to remain in the program so they can complete their degrees in a timely manner,” Hironaka-Juteau said. “They [enrolled students] also have the option of taking a leave of absence or withdrawing completely from the program.”

The program usually enrolls between 20 and 30 students annually, according to the release. It was first accredited in 1968 and has produced nearly 1,500 graduates.