Save Mart Center (Larry Valenzuela/The Collegian)

Women’s basketball team bolsters program with new hire

Fresno State women’s basketball head coach Jaime White announced the hiring of D’Shara Strange as the program’s director of basketball operations, as her appointment will begin on June 3, according to a Fresno State Athletics news release.

“I am humbled and thankful for this opportunity,” Strange told Athletics about her hiring. “Coach White and her staff offer a wealth of knowledge and a standard of excellence that I cannot wait to be a part of. I am excited to join Coach White and the Fresno community in building student-athlete excellence on and off the court.”

Strange joins the Bulldogs after spending the previous three seasons as an assistant coach. Last year, she was an assistant coach at Idaho State (ISU) where she helped the Bengals to a 20-11 season and a trip to the Women’s National Invitation Tournament.

Aside from her on-court coaching at ISU, Strange worked as a camp and clinic director, was in charge of practice schedules, managed the team’s travel and equipment, worked as a liaison with academics and played a pivotal role in recruiting.

“D’Shara has a tireless work ethic and is a natural leader,” White said in the release. “She will make a positive impact with our program immediately.”

Strange spent two seasons as an assistant coach at Montana Tech. With her on staff, the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics program’s winning percentage improved by 15 percent during her time compared to the previous two seasons. The scoring production of her guards also rose by 17 percent in her first year as the group accounted for 86.4 percent of the team’s overall output.

She coached five players to all-conference honors with three garnering all-America accolades.

After college, Strange played professionally for two seasons in Europe, spending the 2015 season with Aluinvent DiósgyŠ‘ri VTK in Hungary and the 2016 season with the Donau-Ries Wohnbau Angels in Germany.

Strange will be taking over the position for Thomas Perkins who will be retiring next month.