Community members shop around Vintage Days crafts faire on Sunday April 28, 2019. (Jose Romo Jr./The Collegian)

Here’s what you missed at this year’s Vintage Days

Vintage Days welcomed locals to Fresno State campus last weekend with hot smokey bbq, ice cream sandwiches, a dunk tank and sunny weather.  

Community members swarmed throughout the campus lawns as they explored student food booths, the beer and wine garden, obstacle courses and craft vendors.

Fresno State greek clubs, organizations and sports clubs all lined up as they sold a variety of food, like chicken tacos and pineapple fruit cups under dark blue tents near the Speech Arts Building and the Satellite Student Union.  

Kids rode on the train as it circled around trees in front of the Joyal Administration Building. Over on the northwest side, the crafts faire was filled with over 100 handmade unique craft vendors selling various items, such as jewelry, artwork, balsamic vinegars and clothes.

One vendor traveled down from Chico to sell sweets, like taffies, vanilla caramels and chocolates.

There was plenty to see and buy from, but one section was exclusively made for Fresno State students to enjoy.

The student zone was Vintage Days’ newest addition, inviting students to enter with a valid I.D. All three days featured new activities, such as a mechanical bull on Friday, a wing eating contest on Saturday and a donut eating contest on Sunday.

“This year for vintage days we wanted to have a student zone out there for students. Specifically just an area for students to come out and hang out enjoy games like food eating contests, giveaways, prizes and just a free area and to have a good time,” said Whitney ballard, one of the student activities coordinators.

This year’s festival also included the popular automotive event this year on Sunday. The car show was back for its second year after a long hiatus.

The community had the opportunity to admire the many different cars in the show with family and friends. The car show was a first stop for people parked in Parking Lot 1 on the corner of Maple and Shaw avenues.

“Our ultimate goal is to re-establish our car show’s strong reputation throughout the Central Valley,” said Rafael Mendoza, the car show coordinator.

Erin and Cleadus Shelton said they have a passion for cars. They brought Erin’s father’s car, a 1977 Chevrolet Stepside in color Tango, to Vintage Days to showcase for the public.

“This is actually our first time here at Vintage Days,” Erin said. “We are enjoying the event, and it is interesting to see other cars here as well.”

Vintage Days is a student-planned celebration that attracts visitors from all over. The event usually lasts three days with food, game booths, live entertainment, arts and crafts and much more.

Marie Flynn, a regular Vintage Days attendee, said she believes that Vintage Days is a great way to pass time with family and friends.  

“My family and I have come to Vintage Days for multiple years,” Flynn said. “We enjoy coming, because there is so much to do with family.”

Marilyn Castaneda contributed to this story.