Courtesy Caleb Kuhl

Grizzly Fest is this weekend, don’t miss ‘dance-oriented’ duo Matt and Kim

Catch indie/electronic dance duo Matt and Kim performing at Grizzly Fest this weekend, alongside G-Eazy and Young the Giant.

You never know what will happen when they perform live. Every show is different. Band member Matt Johnson said they have some consistency that fans can expect at Grizzly Fest.

“We made 1,000 nude blow-up dolls with our faces on them,” Johnson said. “We usually throw a couple of those into the crowd and we bring enough confetti and balloons to make a mess.”

Their idea of a good time is having fun and “getting weird.” Their live performances are very dance-oriented and have a fun vibe, Johnson said.

People who only know them from their songs “Daylight” and “Let’s Go” will be surprised at how much dancing Kim will do on stage, Johnson said. At the last festival Matt and Kim performed, Kim pulled some people from the crowd on stage and had a dance battle of sorts, which was not in the planned set.

Their music video for “Lessons Learned” is a long take of the two slowly stripping down to complete nudity in the middle of Times Square and then running from the police. The video won the Breakthrough Video Award at the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards.

As PG-13 as this all sounds, the duo’s latest release is a song for “The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part” titled “Come Together Now”. Their catchy pop flair fits perfectly with a kids film.

Johnson said that although they have been collaborating with other artists and writing new music, they are not eager to put out a seventh album any time soon.

“I don’t know what’s next,” Johnson said. “Feel free to suggest what we can do next.”

Johnson says Fresno State students should tell them what to do via social media.

Matt and Kim will perform Sunday, May 5 on the Sequoia stage from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Tickets for Grizzly Fest are available for purchase at www.grizzlyfestival.com. General admission tickets for both days are $130 and Sunday only are $75.

“Come out and come ready to get dirty,” Johnson said. “Don’t wear anything you want to keep white or wear something white and see how dirty you can get it. That’s the challenge.”